Case Study - Brazil
In May 2012, the Sports Grounds Safety Authority hosted a two day workshop in Rio on safety and security at major events.
The event was attended by senior figures from Government and the 12 cities that will host the World Cup in a series of new and re-developed stadia.
- The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO)
- Brazilian State Secretariat for Security at Major Events (SESGE)
- Brazil 2014 Organising Committee
- Rio 2016 Organising Committee
- Brazilian Ministry of Justice
- Police and fire authorities
- UK experts and relevant companies
Our role was to develop and deliver the workshop, and promote good practice to help deliver safe and enjoyable experiences for spectators at sports grounds around Brazil. Building on the success of the event we returned to Recife in February 2013 to run a further two day workshop on similar themes including:
- The role of ground management and safety personnel
- Contingency and Emergency Planning
- Crowd Movement
- Integrated safety management
- Planning and staging international events
We also produced a Portuguese translation of ‘Safety Management’ which Brazilian colleagues are now using to plan for safe and successful events in 2014 and 2016.