Board Meeting 166 - January 2011

Minutes of the one hundered and sixty sixth meeting of the Football Licensing Authority held on 11 January 2011 in Oceanic House.

Present

Mr P Darling – Chairman
Mr B Batson
Dr P Lane
Ms J Summerell
Mr R Wilkie
Mr D Wilson
Ms R Shaw   - Chief Executive

In attendance

Mr K D Sears
Mrs N Rutherford

Apologies were received from Mr P Rowley

The Chairman formally welcomed Ms R Shaw to the meeting and the organisation.

The Board congratulated John de Quidt on receiving the OBE in the New Year’s honours list.  The Chief Executive would convey the Board’s best wishes to him.

1

Minutes of the previous meeting

1.1

The minutes were agreed and signed by the Chairman.

2

Matters arising

2.1

No items were raised.

3

Chief Executive’s Reports (FLA(10)38 & (11)06)

 

3.1

 

The Chief Executive summarised the two papers. In discussion the following points were made:

  • It was vital that the FLA plan for the possible transition to the SGSA or merger with another body. 

 

  • A communication strategy was an essential part of this.  Its development should be a collective process with the pooling of skills and competencies.
  • The FLA must be pro-active in working to find the best fit for our organisation and in giving the best advice to Ministers and key decision makers.  Government should be fully informed of all the issues and implications of any decisions.

 

  • The Chairman and / or the Chief Executive should initiate

discussions with the appropriate parties.

  • It was important that during this time of changing events that the Board were updated with any developments.  Likewise any press cuttings relating to the FLA would be copied to the Board.

 

Action

The Chief Executive to keep the Board updated with developments.
Mrs Rutherford to circulate any relevant press cuttings.

4

Chief Executive’s observation paper (FLA(11)01)

4.1

The Board noted the content of the paper and were content with the categorisation of priorities.  The paper was discussed in conjunction with the presentation given by Ms Summerell on the role of the Board.

The role of the Board as ambassadors could be a very useful tool in these times of transition. They had a diverse set of skills, hitherto underused, which could support the Executive. However it was essential  the Board should be able to speak with knowledge and have a clear remit when representing the FLA.  Keeping the Board fully briefed on all issues and useful contacts was a key first step prior to developing a skeleton plan of action giving an indication of expectation.  One plan should be for the present remit and another for our expanded role.  The second plan would focus on the way forward for the organisation as a whole.

The consensus view was that any ambassadorial role could include up to 2-4 match visits per season with an inspector and up to 2-4 other relevant activities.  However Members must, as the Inspectorate already do, undertake an assessment of the need to attend any event.

 It was suggested that the induction programme for new Board members should be reviewed to ensure future members received an earlier in depth grounding in the remit of the FLA. It was also suggested that the Board might benefit from a half day in depth session later in the year.

5

Risk Register (FLA(11)02)

5.1

The Board approved the content of the register. They welcomed the new format but suggested that the status column should be highlighted in colour. Any further amendments should be submitted to the Chief Executive by the end of the month.

The Board agreed that there should be a thorough review of the register every 6 months.  If a specific key risk showed significant movement or a new risk emerged it should be discussed at the next available opportunity.

A move towards the register being led by the audit committee should be an objective for the future.

Action

Any amendments to the risk register to be submitted to the Chief Executive by 31st January.

6

Discussion paper on charging (FLA(11)03)

6.1

Ms Summerell declared that her position as an employee of Serco may constitute a conflict of interest.

6.2

The Board noted the content of the paper.  It approved the approach of::

  • the executive to begin discussions with DCMS officials to explore the scope for increasing the licence fee. DCMS should be made aware of the many permutations available. ; and

 

  • the executive should continue discussions with EPC with a view to securing a scale of payment which takes proper account of the developmental of our courses.

The executive should consider the scope for franchising and licensing of future training courses developed by the FLA.

7

Role of the Board as ambassadors

7.1

This item was discussed under item 4

 

 

8

Injury statistics (FLA(11)05)

8.1

The Board approved the paper and agreed that the headline figures should be published on the FLA website.

Action

Mrs Rutherford to arrange publication of the headline figures.

9

Any other business

9.1

Mr Wilkie requested that in future the Member’s FLA business cards should include a mobile phone number for contact.

It was suggested that personal FLA e-mail accounts for each Board member should be considered. This would be taken up with Mr Longhorn and Mr Clotworthy.

 

 

10

Date of the next meeting

 

 

10.1

The likelihood of the February meeting taking place was minimal. However Members should keep the date available for a possible telephone conference if developments necessitated urgent discussion.    Subject to that, the next scheduled meeting would be Tuesday 8 March 2011 at 10.30am in Oceanic House

FLA Secretariat
January 2011